Lambina - Although first discovered in the late 1920's going into the depression years, very little work was done here until the late 1980's when some good finds were made at the Seven Waterholes diggings.
Mintabie – Although discovered in the 1920's by a well-sinker named Larry O'Toole, it was not until the mid 1970’s that extensive mining began here. As far back as the First World War, Aborigines sold black opal at Coober Pedy which most likely came from Mintabie - 254 km to the northwest.
Red sand dunes covered vast amounts of Opal bearing sandstone much of which has been excavated almost exclusively by open-cutting (50mx50m) claims to a depth of 20 meters and as far down as 40 meters. During the 1980’s Mintabie was the major source of crystal opal and produced excellent semi-black opal.
The opal from Mintabie has a reputation for being harder than most, which perhaps bears some correlation to the fact it is found in Ordovician (500 to 440 m.y.a.) rocks, much older than the Cretaceous (144-65m.y.a.) rocks which host most of Australia‘s deposits.
Andamooka – Opal was discovered here in 1930 by tank sinkers Roy Shepard and Tim Brooks. Nearby Andamooka station was named in 1858 by John McDouall Stuart, after an Aboriginal word meaning 'large waterhole' which refers to Lake Torrens 20 km away.
‘Kupa Piti’ is an Aboriginal name meaning ‘White Man in a Hole’ in the language of the Kokatha people the traditional owners of the area. It was selected from four proposed names by a newly formed progress committee in June 1920.
'Coober', as it is affectionately referred to, by its 4000 inhabitants, is also known as the 'Opal Capital of the World'.